Why did God choose shepherds to be His witness that a Savior who was the Messiah had been born? Perhaps, the Lord our God hid some mysteries in the little we know about when Messiah Yeshua (Jesus Christ) was born. Luke 2 gives us the account of the shepherds:
“In the same region, there were some SHEPHERDS STAYING OUT IN THE FIELDS AND KEEPING WATCH OVER THEIR FLOCK BY NIGHT. And an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened. But the angel said to them ‘Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign for you; you will find a baby wrapped in clothes and lying in a manger.’ And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.’ When the angels had gone away from them into heaven, THE SHEPHERDS BEGAN SAYING TO ONE ANOTHER, ‘LET US GO STRAIGHT TO BETHLEHEM THEN, AND SEE THIS THING THAT HAS HAPPENED WHICH THE LORD HAS MADE KNOWN TO US. So they came in a hurry and found their way to Mary and Joseph and the baby as He lay in the manger. When they had seen this, they made known the statement which had been told them about this Child. And ALL WHO HEARD IT WONDERED AT THE THINGS WHICH WERE TOLD THEM BY THE SHEPHERDS. But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart. THE SHEPHERDS WENT BACK, GLORIFYING AND PRAISING GOD FOR ALL THAT THEY HAD HEARD AND SEEN, JUST AS HAD BEEN TOLD THEM” (Luke 2:8:20 NASB).
Why shepherds? Perhaps, God is pointing to the time of year that the shepherds would have been in the fields by night. If this is the case, the only season that this would not have taken place was winter. Shepherds in Israel watched their flock either in spring, summer or fall, but not in winter. Please refer to http://wp.me/p158HG-nY for more information.
Why shepherds? Perhaps, God is pointing to the general characteristics of shepherds: simple, peace-loving, calm, caring, humble, et cetera. Perhaps, the gentle, loving hearts of the shepherds is a message to everyone who receives the good news of glad tidings that Jesus Christ our Savior has come.
My husband and I raise sheep. It’s one of the most rewarding things that we do. Our sheep know our voice, and they truly don’t follow others. We enjoy the sweet, peaceful and slightly mischievous way that the flock relates to us and one another. We enjoy getting to know their different personalities and bringing out the best in each lamb. As good shepherds, we must keep an eye out for them, especially for the young. The little lambs are constantly getting their head stuck in the fence or some other predicament where they need help. Mistakes are very costly for both the shepherd and the sheep. We grieve over any lives lost, because we truly love our little and big lambs. BTW – Just to set the record straight, sheep are not stupid. They are very intelligent and very sensitive.
Why shepherds? Perhaps, the God of Peace is pointing us to the Good Shepherd – Messiah Yeshua. Recently, I taught about the 13 “I AM” statements that Yeshua spoke during Hanukkah. Please refer to https://sapphirethroneministries.wordpress.com/2017/12/02/full-government-of-god-prize-immortality/ and https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2014/12/02/yeshuas-full-government-declaration-during-hanukkah/. Two of these times, Yeshua declared, “I am the Good Shepherd.” This is not a coincidence. God is hinting at the space and place in His Winter One-Dear-Land where the sheep of His pasture hears the Good Shepherd’s voice. Please note in the John 10:1-18 Hanukkah passage that the term “shepherd” is mentioned five times. Five is the number for grace. Grace! Grace to those mountains of human and demonic obstacles that so easily entangle us.
I think that all three reasons come into play to answer the question: Why shepherds? But personally, I heard the Lord say that “the shepherds watching their flock at night,” our Good Shepherd – Messiah Yeshua – as well as the time of year that Yeshua declared Himself to be the Good Shepherd – Hanukkah – are all connected. Please recall that the passage from John 8:12 to John 10:42 reveals Yeshua’s works during Hanukkah. Keep this in mind as you read the Parable of the Good Shepherd in John 10 with new eyes to see (John 9:1-41):
“‘Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But HE WHO ENTERS BY THE DOOR IS THE SHEPHERD OF THE SHEEP. To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.’ Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them. Then Jesus said to them again, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, I AM THE DOOR OF THE SHEEP. All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I AM THE DOOR. IF ANYONE ENTERS BY ME, HE WILL BE SAVED, AND WILL GO IN AND OUT AND FIND PASTURE. The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD. THE GOOD SHEPHERD GIVES HIS LIFE FOR THE SHEEP. But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, see the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD; AND I KNOW MY SHEEP, AND AM KNOWN BY MY OWN. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and THERE WILL BE ONE FLOCK AND ONE SHEPHERD” (John 10:1-16 NKJV).
Give em heaven, Lambs!!!
Copyright December 3, 2017 – Sapphire Throne Ministries – Robin Main
P.S. Most of my Christmas/Hanukkah articles are available in a semi-organized form here => http://www.santa-tizing.com/blog
- FULL GOVERNMENT OF GOD PRIZE – IMMORTALITY => https://sapphirethroneministries.wordpress.com/2017/12/02/full-government-of-god-prize-immortality/
- YESHUA’S FULL GOVERNMENT DECLARATION DURING HANUKKAH => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2014/12/02/yeshuas-full-government-declaration-during-hanukkah/
- ONENESS METATRON MATRIX – FULLY MATURE SONS => https://sapphirethroneministries.wordpress.com/2017/11/30/oneness-metatron-matrix-fully-mature-sons/
- JESUS NOT BORN DEC 25TH => http://wp.me/p158HG-nY
- ONE TO BE SACRIFICED IS CALLED LAUGHTER => http://wp.me/p158HG-rV
• Ascension Manual book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578188511
• Understanding the Order of Melchizedek: Complete Series book => https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Order-Melchizedek-Robin-Main/dp/0998598240/
• MEL GEL Study Guide book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578188538/
• MEL GEL Study Guide: Volume 2 book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0998598232/
• Set of Hebrew Living Letter Flash Cards => http://www.sapphirethroneministries.com/art.html
• All STM Resources (usually cheaper than Amazon), including teaching videos => http://www.sapphirethroneministries.com/resources.html
• Blazing New Wine of Hanukkah: Bridal Restoration of DNA book => https://www.amazon.com/Blazing-New-Wine-Hanukkah-Understanding-ebook/dp/B010MHNZMK/
• SANTA-TIZING: What’s wrong with Christmas and how to clean it up book => https://www.amazon.com/SANTA-TIZING-Whats-wrong-Christmas-clean/dp/1607911159/ was written to fulfill a vow made to Yeshua’s face to tell the Christian Church that “Christmas will be the Golden Calf of America.” It took 10 years of full-time research, a golden scribe angel and the Spirit’s leading to unearthing His Truth in the sands of time. It covers every argument that you have ever heard about Christmas.
PHOTO by Sheri Hubbs